GRILLED SQUID SALAD
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon finely grated zest plus 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
1 garlic clove, minced
½ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon Aleppo pepper
1 pound cleaned squid
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon toasted fennel seeds
1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
½ pound small heirloom tomatoes, quartered
– Combine olive oil, lemon zest, orange zest, garlic, coriander,
cumin, and Aleppo pepper in small bowl and microwave 45 seconds. Set
– Cut squid tubes open to make flat pieces and, holding knife almost
parallel to work surface (at a 30-degree angle), score inner side of
flattened squid in a crosshatch pattern (do not cut all the way
through). Pat squid bodies and tentacles dry and season with salt and
pepper. Toss with vegetable oil.
– Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill squid just
until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Cut squid tubes into 1-inch
lengths (you can use kitchen shears for this).
– Season tomatoes with salt and pepper.
– Whisk lemon juice into olive oil mixture and drizzle over squid.
Garnish with fennel, oregano, and tomatoes. Serve warm or chilled.